After the Great Fire of the Tenmei period, the roji at Omotesenke was completely changed. The biggest alteration was moving Fushin'an, which had been to the south of Zangetsutei, to its east. This enabled the creation of an inner roji for Fushin'an and Zangetsutei, now on the south side, revealed its light and tranquil shingle-roofed irimoya structure and it was now possible to enter it directly from the roji. Fushin'an, apart from a slight change in the position of the preparation room, was rebuilt exactly as it had been, but the Zangetsutei, which had previously had a wall on its south side, now had four shoji that could be opened widely to create a bright room. The east side which had been a window of three shoji was now two shoji and half of the west side became a wall. An open verandah was built outside.
Also Sottakusai changed the seven mat room from one in which the shichijishiki (seven training exercises) could not be held, into one that could be used as a practice room. The Sodo had a four-and-a-half mat room and a two mat room added to it. The four-and-a-half mat room was a Doan-gakoi and the two mat room had one mat that was a daime (three quarters the size of a usual mat) with a board replacing the other quarter. There was no toko and it had a papered wainscot and the fusuma were hogobari (papered with letters and old documents), so that it was the ultimate wabi style tea room. Perhaps they wanted to bring back the tea rooms of Sotan's time back to life.
Ryoryosai planned these great changes, but he suddenly gave them up and in April of Bunsei 5 (1882) he went to greet Lord Harutomi. The present main gate that he had built at that time was a gift from Lord Harutomi.
In Tenpo 10 (1839), on the occasion of Rikyu's 250th anniversary memorial service, Kyukosai built the Sodo in the southern part of Zangetsutei's roji, as a separate building facing west. As a result, the roji of Fushin'an, Zangetsutei, Shichijojiki tea rooms and the Sodo are all connected, forming a complex structure. It appears complex, but can be divided into a path that leads from the nakakuguri at the front of the outer roji to Fushin'an, Zangetsutei and Shichijojiki and one that leads from the agesudo (gate made of thin strips of bamboo that can be raised) to the Sodo. Then there is the middle gate, Kayamon (thatched roof gate) which joins the paths leading to the Sodo and the Zangetsutei. The verandah on the west side of the Zangetsutei which faces the roji of the Shichijojiki has an unusual contrivance with four shoji that are open at the bottom for ventilation. According to an ancient document this was to block the sunlight from the west.
In Meiji 39 (1906) most of the Iemoto was destroyed by fire. First the Zangetsutei was restored in Meiji 42 (1909) and in Taisho 2 (1913) Fushinan'an was restored. Thanks to the great efforts of Rokurokusai and Seisai, the residence was faithfully reconstructed as it had been before the fire. Fushin'an, which is located furthest from the gate of the roji, has not changed inside or out since the time of Koshin.
In Taisho 10 Seisai added the Shofuro to the west of the entrance. He put irikawa (narrow passageways) on two sides of an eight mat room designed by Joshinsai and changed it to seven mats to make a practice room for the new era. Moreover, in Showa 34 (1959) a new tea room called Shinseki was added to the west of Shofuro by Sokuchusai.